In 2011 CofA is at CofA11

... Not Just L.A., The City of Angels Is Everywhere...

I was age five when the bishop stood over me and said, "Stop babbling about what the priest did to you." Then, forty years later... I started babbling.
*
Re Missing Link collection below: Email editor Jay Nelson of Albuquerque at jay@sarabite.info CLICK IMAGES to enlarge

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Church Calls It Sin. Let's Call It What It Is: Child Rape (Home Town Life, North Michigan)

.
From Northern Michigan:

COMMENTARY by TOM WATKINS: Catholic Church child abuse scandal - never again

While the stepped-up effort to protect children is welcome, given the historical abuse [in the Church], this is a bit like closing the barn door after the cows have escaped.

These actions are part of the Vatican effort to deal with the ever-widening child sex abuse scandal. There are unforgivable sins. Sexually abusing a child is one.

I attended Catholic grade school and graduated from a Catholic high school. I was taught that honesty and integrity matter. I was taught that lying, cheating and covering up problems are wrong. I was taught that you should always tell the truth and if you make a mistake to admit it, accept your punishment, do your penance and try to be a better person.

The Church has historically maintained a code of silence and covered up for a sin that comes as close to “unforgivable” as anything I know — harming children. No, let's call it for what it is: child rape.

Continued at Home Town Life of Northern Michigan
/

No comments: