In 2011 CofA is at CofA11

... Not Just L.A., The City of Angels Is Everywhere...

I was age five when the bishop stood over me and said, "Stop babbling about what the priest did to you." Then, forty years later... I started babbling.
*
Re Missing Link collection below: Email editor Jay Nelson of Albuquerque at jay@sarabite.info CLICK IMAGES to enlarge

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Good News For Everyone- Except those crime victims over age fifty

.
Arizona lawmakers are breezing to passage a bill to remove the statute of limitations on child sex crimes, which will be hailed as great for the adult victims, as it should be, as removing the SOL is one heck of a deterrent, in other words:

Hey, all you child sex predators out there, from now on in Arizona no matter how old your victim gets, they can sue you for your crimes. Other states may be soon to follow.

Still, why don't lawmakers see the imbalance in opening the doors of justice for everyone in the world except us old folks, who lived in a culture where No One Ever Even Mentioned what we went through, yet we still went through it. In Arizona, a one-year window opens for crimes that happened in the last 35 years.

Why 35 years?

Why this arbitrary number that throws out the individuals who suffered the longest and have the least opportunity to ever put their lives back together again?

Us older folks are always the ones who get negotiated out in lobbying the last few years to make child sex crime statutes more reasonable. I watched it happen in Illinois last September.

I guess us little old ladies are supposed to go back to our rooms and nurse our bed-bug bites.

Here from Arizona:

Time-limit ban for abuse victims to sue attackers OK'd

PHOENIX (AZ)Arizona Daily Sun HOWARD FISCHER
Capitol Media Services Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010

PHOENIX -- State lawmakers voted Monday to give childhood victims of sex abuse an entire lifetime to sue those who assaulted them.

Without dissent, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved a measure to repeal the existing laws that require civil suits to be filed within two years of someone turning 18. For incidents that take place in the future, there will be no statute of limitations.

SB 1292 also opens a window for those who were abused in the past 35 years, giving them one year from the time the law takes effect to file suit, even if the time limit had previously run out....
.
Story found through Abuse Tracker

City of Angels is temporarily down but not out.
.
******
More from Today's news:

Six reasons why I want to be excommunicated
IRELANDThe Irish Times
OPINION: The anger among survivors of clerical sex abuse at the failure of the Catholic Church to deal adequately with the issue has prompted some formally to leave the church. This is my letter to Archbishop Diarmuid Martin seeking excommunication, writes BERNICE DONOGHUE

Dear Archbishop Martin,

I AM writing to request the amendment of my details in the baptismal register for the Parish of Mount Merrion in the Archdiocese of Dublin, where I was baptised. I made the decision to leave the church over 30 years ago, but recently have discovered that I continue to be included in the church’s internal statistics. I strongly object to this inclusion as I do not consider myself to be a member of the Catholic Church, hence I am asking you to amend the baptismal register to reflect this fact. In short, I wish to be excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church.

My reasons for leaving the Catholic Church are as follows:
1 I do not want to be a member of a church that aided and abetted a paedophile so that he could rape and sexually abuse me for four years of my childhood. I was abused by the Norbertine priest Brendan Smyth.

When he was finally arrested and tried for his crimes I was horrified to learn how the church had handled over four decades the allegations against him. Time and again, his victims were ignored or silenced in order to preserve the church’s position, and so he was able to continue his crimes against children with impunity. After Brendan Smyth’s trial and conviction in 1997 ...

No comments: